Recipe by Kalipso435
This recipe evolved out of combining multiple tortilla soup and Mexican gumbo recipes. It's not a thin as soup and not as thick as gumbo, so we've just been calling it Mexican stew! There's quite a few ingredients, but the steps are super simple. It freezes well, so feel free to make it ahead of time and store for dinner later in the week. You can use multiple cans of Rotel if you want, but we've found we prefer just one can of the Rotel and adding seperate cans of tomatoes and chilies. Enjoy!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 medium red pepper
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 3 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole corn
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 dash red chili powder (optional, add only if you want to spice it up) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice onion.
- Cut chicken, zucchini, carrot, and red pepper into small (just under bite size) pieces.
- Saute chicken, onion, red pepper, carrot, zucchini, and garlic until chicken is fully cooked. Don't allow chicken or veggies to brown.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes.