Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a simple to make, tasty stew. The green chilies make for a bit different flavor than regular beef stew.
- 3 lbs boneless lean beef, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can whole green chilies, drained
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1 potato, cubed
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- Brown beef and onion in bacon drippings in a Dutch oven. Place all ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.
- Alternatively, after browning. Add next 7 ingredients, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 1 hour. Add vegetables; cover and simmer 30 minutes until tender.
I chose this recipe for Pick A Chef Spring 2010. I'm so glad I did. We had a busy Sunday planned, and it only took a few minutes to put everything together in the crockpot and let it go all day. I only had about 2 lbs of beef, and no corn, but made up the weight difference with extra potatoes and carrots. The heat from the large amount of regular pepper was just right and it was a delicious, spicy stew. I'll definitely make it again.