Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A hearty beef and bean dinner can be on your table in less than 30 minutes. Found this recipe on bettycrocker.com & wanted to keep track of it. I plan to serve this with rice.
- 3⁄4 lb boneless sirloin steak, about 3/4 inch thick
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup corn kernel, frozen
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced (2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained
- Remove fat from beef. Cut beef with grain into 2-inch strips; cut strips across grain into 1/8 inch slices.
- Spray 12 inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add beef, onion and bell pepper; cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until beef is no longer pink.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender and mixture is hot.
Made this for ZWT5 - Cooks with Dirty Faces Team. All in all, the combination of ingredients and flavour is good, and mostly they're pantry staples which is great. For that reason, I'll certainly try this again. I followed the directions exactly as written, it's definitely a nice quick recipe. I had to sub kidney beans for the pinto, just what I had on hand. I found that the onions were not fully cooked in the amount of time indicated, so next time I would saute the onions first, and let them turn translucent before adding the beef. Or do the beef and veg seperately as the other reviewer mentioned. I would also add fresh garlic. The family is going to dine on this tonight with leftover, "Mexican Rice". Ole! Made for ZWT5 (Cooks with Dirty Faces Team)
This was very good. I substituted skirt steak as that is what I had on hand, and left out the zucchini. I sauteed the onions first before adding the meat and pepper, otherwise, followed the recipe. Very easy to throw together and will make again. Made for ZWT5 '09 for a fellow Hell's Kitchen Angel team mate.
This got mixed reviews - partly my fault because I used poblanos (instead of green bell peppers) from the farmstand & they were hotter than supermarket poblanos! *I* thought they were spectacular but mom's not so keen on spice, lol. She also wanted me to leave out the beans - too bad! I used leftover corn scraped off the cob, too. :) This was fast & easy. I stir fried the beef & removed it to a dish then stir fried the veggies & mixed it all together (space in the pan issues). I skipped the rice because there was already beans & corn in the recipe. A great meal! Made for the Aussie Swap 8/08.