Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tend to eat a ton of spaghetti squash and this is just another way to make it. The spices are all approximate.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced black olives
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Pierce the spaghetti squash all over with a knife.
- Put in microwave for 10 minutes (or until skin is soft to the touch).
- Remove squash and let cool (however long you want).
- Cut squash in half and remove the seeds.
- Use a fork to scrape the insides into a large bowl.
- Add all other ingredients to the squash and stir together.
- Put in casserole and top with cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until cheese bubbles.
- Let sit for a few minutes before serving.
I thought that this was a very versatile recipe and lends itself well to a little modification. I ran out of diced tomatoes with chiles, so I used diced tomatoes and added some canned chiles to the mixture; I omitted the black olives because I didnt have any; used a little less corn (ran out); and used a medley of cheeses (mostly cheddar with a little mozzarella and Jarlsberg mixed in). I thought the casserole was flavorful and I really enjoyed all of my bites that included a lot of cheese. After cooking, the casserole was a little bit watery, so we drained some of the excess liquid before serving. This reheated well for leftovers the next day. I served it as a side to Green Chile Baked Chicken 2351615. Thanks!
I love spaghetti squash, and have tons of it. I tried this recipe and found it lacking something. I added 1lb of ground beef. Still needs something. All in all--not bad