Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a tasty alternative to regular spaghetti. I love that it's very light and can be made lighter by using ground turkey. I also like using red bell pepper along with the green. Also, it's great over any kind of pasta you want. I've used corkscrew and elbows before!!!
- 1 lb ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (or more)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 12 ounces spaghetti (or any pasta)
- Brown beef with onion, bell peppers and garlic. Drain.
- Add remaining ingredients (except spaghetti).
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Serve over cooked and drained spaghetti.
Have to rate it 3 stars...being of mexican descent this is what we call FIDEO but not used with spaghetti pasta but instead vermicelli (fideo). Although the taste were almost similar. Pretty good recipe.
Delicious! I made as directed (using 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne) and this was just yummy for lunch. I shredded up some medium cheddar and chopped up some green onions to throw on top. My dad stopped by as I was setting the table for my hubby and I, and he grabbed a plate and ate with us - he LOVED this, raved about how it was better than my regular spaghetti sauce (which he really likes, too). He liked it so much, in fact, that he took the left-overs home with him. Hubby & I thought this was tasty, too. Groovy GastroGnome travelling the ZWT5. Thanks for posting this recipe for the tour! I will make it again!
We all enjoyed this combo and will make it again with a couple of spice adjustments for our (wimpy) palates. The plates were licked clean so I would say it was a hit! We often put our chili over rice and this would also be great served that way. Thanks for sharing your recipe, Charmie!