Recipe by Hey Jude
I haven't tried these yet but I'm submitting anyway because they sound cute and different. I found this recipe in the Daily Herald, in an article on heart healthy food for children.
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 small onion
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, crust removed
- 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons mild taco seasoning mix
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 6-inch corn tortillas (to keep heart-healthy, buy tortillas that do not have lard listed on the ingredient list)
- 1⁄4 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 teaspoons mild chunky salsa
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and chop green pepper; peel and chop onion.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, mix green pepper, onion and water; cover with wax paper and microwave for 4 minutes then let cool.
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Into a medium bowl, crumble bread into small pieces; add milk and let stand for 3 to 4 minutes; stir until blended.
- Crumble turkey into bread mixture; add parsley, taco seasoning, chili powder and cooked green pepper and onion; mix well.
- Spray muffin pan cups with vegetable spray.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut 4 slashes in each tortilla from the outer edge toward the center; place tortillas into muffin pan cups.
- Divide the turkey mixture evenly over the tortillas; cover with foil and place muffin pan in oven; bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove sombreros from muffin pan and place on plates; spoon 1 teaspoon of salsa on top of each sombrero and top with cheese.