3 hrs 30 mins
Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the marinade and steak
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili peppers, such as Fresno or 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 red onion, minced
- 1 lb skirt steak
- kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Barley soup base
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 chili peppers, such as Fresno or 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (32 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro or 1 fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- lime wedge, Worcestershire and hot sauce, to pass at table
- 1For the marinade and steak:.
- 2Combine the cilantro, Worcestershire, garlic, chili peppers, lime juice, marjoram and onion in a bag. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and add to the bag. Release air and seal the bag, then refrigerate. Marinate up to 2 hours.
- 3To prepare, bring the steak to room temperature. Heat a grill pan to medium-high, shake off the excess marinade and cook the steak for a few minutes on each side. Thinly slice and set aside.
- 4For the soup:.
- 5Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the barley to tender, but al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and drizzle with a touch of oil. Store in a plastic container until the night you serve the soup.
- 6In a soup pot, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, chili peppers, onions and bell peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften the veggies, 8-10 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and cilantro, and simmer to combine the flavors, about 20 minutes. Cool, cover and store for a make-ahead meal.
- 7To serve, heat the soup to a low boil. Add the barley and heat through. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and add the sliced skirt steak. Pass the lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce for topping.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Sliced Steak and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (545 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 562.4
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.7 mg
- Sodium 1705.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.6 g
- Sugars 15.1 g
- Protein 35.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: