Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Recipe is from Rachael Ray.
Make and share this Mexican Sliced Steak and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
For the marinade and steak
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 fresh chili peppers, such as Fresno or 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram or 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 red onion, minced
- 1 lb skirt steak
- kosher salt and coarse black pepper
Barley soup base
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 chili peppers, such as Fresno or 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1 (32 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 handful fresh cilantro or 1 fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- lime wedge, Worcestershire and hot sauce, to pass at table
- For the marinade and steak:.
- Combine the cilantro, Worcestershire, garlic, chili peppers, lime juice, marjoram and onion in a bag. Sprinkle the steak with salt and pepper and add to the bag. Release air and seal the bag, then refrigerate. Marinate up to 2 hours.
- To prepare, bring the steak to room temperature. Heat a grill pan to medium-high, shake off the excess marinade and cook the steak for a few minutes on each side. Thinly slice and set aside.
- For the soup:.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, salt the water and cook the barley to tender, but al dente, about 20 minutes. Drain and drizzle with a touch of oil. Store in a plastic container until the night you serve the soup.
- In a soup pot, heat the 2 tablespoons olive oil, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, celery, chili peppers, onions and bell peppers, and season with salt and pepper. Cook to soften the veggies, 8-10 minutes. Add the stock, tomatoes and cilantro, and simmer to combine the flavors, about 20 minutes. Cool, cover and store for a make-ahead meal.
- To serve, heat the soup to a low boil. Add the barley and heat through. Serve the soup in shallow bowls and add the sliced skirt steak. Pass the lime wedges, Worcestershire and hot sauce for topping.