Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I just got tired of the same old taco stuff and came up with this.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 chopped onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder (can add more or less depending on how hot you want it)
- 1 cup cooked macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Brown meat, onion, and chilies; drain.
- Add remaining ingredients, except sour cream.
- Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream, then sprinkle with cheese.
- If desired, serve with tortilla chips and your favorite taco toppings.
DELICIOUS! I'll definitely make this again.
I substituted two tablespoons no-heat pickled jalapenos for the green chilies in the recipe, and garlic salt for the salt called for ~ I used ground pork, mini-bowtie pasta, added freshly ground pepper, and a dash of cayenne to the recipe. To melt and brown the cheese, I baked this in a 10-inch quiche dish at 375F for 20 minutes ~ I garnished with fresh cilantro.
This recipe was made as a SPECIAL THANK YOU to Chef Shapeweaver for MERPing the most recipes in the Peppercorns~Black Pepper March 2012 Recipe Tag, in the Photo Forum.
We thought this was pretty tasty, but after putting it together, I questioed whether I should have used tomato sauce instead of paste since it got very thick and was difficult to get the pasta cooked. We did eat it though, but I will probably make that change next time I make this.