Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This can also be baking in baking dish, Jiffy cornmeal mix or similar is good to use for this recipe, also fresh cooked corn kernels in place of canned is good.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (can use more)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 bell pepper (red or green seeded and chopped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal mix (use the packaged store-bought)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese (or use old cheddar)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 9-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a non-stick skillet heat about 3 tablespoons oil over medium heat.
- Add in onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalapeno pepper and corn kernels; saute for about 4 minutes, remove from heat and cool.
- In a bowl stir together the cornmeal mix, sugar, cumin, shredded cheese, eggs, buttermilk and 1/4 cup oil; mix well to combine.
- Add in the onion mixture to the cornmeal mixture; stir to combine well.
- Heat about 2 tablespoons oil in the cast iron skillet in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes, then quickly pour the cornmeal mix into skillet, smoothing out with a spoon to the edges of the skillet.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until done.