Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Skillet cabbage with tomatoes.
- Fry bacon in a large skillet.
- When bacon is crisp remove from pan, crumble, and set aside.
- Add garlic to skillet and sauté for 1 minute or until aromatic.
- Add cabbage to the skillet and stir to coat in bacon drippings and garlic.
- Add Rotel, reserved crumbled bacon, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Simmer over low to med heat until cabbage is soft, about 20-30 minutes.
We thought this was a good way to have cabbage as a side dish. It was a little spicy so next time I think I'll try 1 can of Rotel and 1 can of plain diced tomatoes. I also used turkey bacon to reduce the fat a little bit.
I made this for dinner tonight as a side to our sausages. I doubled the garlic, which is a must for our garlic loving family. I also used homemade Rotel with fresh peppers and tomatoes from the garden. It was ok, but not a family favorite. Lots of leftovers and I am hoping they will be more flavorful after melding all night.
Great salad! We like the way it was spicy also. Made with Ranch chicken thighs. Thanks!