Recipe by kiwidutch
I am always looking for a new way to serve shrimp, and I found this in our local paper and made some minor changes. Please note: this is an adopted recipe and I hope to make it soonest. If you make it before I do, I would appreciate feedback, Thanks ! ZWT REGION: Mexico.
Top Review by Annacia
I have been waiting until I could shop in the "Big City" to try this, but as our car is less than reliable I made it with the ingredients I could get locally. The cilantro became chopped celery and I had to use water instead of clam juice. I used spinach in place of iceberg by choice. Even with these make do's I loved this recipe. It's a perfect welcome to early Spring and made a lovely dinner. Kiwi, I apologize for the subs but I had to work with what I could get.
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 bunch green onion, white parts and some tender greens, thinly sliced
- 1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and shells reserved
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle clam juice (standard size found in grocery store)
- 1⁄4 head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced (or cabbage)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 limes, juice of
- Tabasco sauce, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash cilantro, chop leaves and discard stems.
- Mix with tomatoes and onions and set aside.
- Boil shrimp in clam juice (and enough water to cover the shrimp) until pink. Remove shrimp and plunge into ice-water bath until no longer warm; remove from ice water and refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, add shells to liquid and simmer 10 minutes. Strain liquid and reserve.
- Layer thinly sliced or shredded iceberg lettuce (using as a bed, such as wine glasses or small glass dishes or a single glass bowl.)
- Top with shrimp and tomato mixture
- Add ketchup, lime juice and Tabasco sauce (to taste) to reserved clam liquid. Pour liquid over shrimp to cover it.
- Chill until ready to serve.