Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A great use for left overs! Arrachera beef is a marinated meat used in Mexico for tacos. Left-over roast beef, or even ground beef is a good substitute, however I suggest adding some taco seasoning to the meat.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs arrachera beef, cooked and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 chipotle pepper, seeded and chopped (or 1 jalapeno, diced)
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced (optional)
- 1 cup sweet corn (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare mashed potatoes, using sour cream instead of milk.
- In skillet over medium heat melt butter and saute onions, peppers until onions are almsot transparent, stir in garlic and saute another minute.
- Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir for approximately 2 minutes.
- Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce.
- Thicken gravy 1 minute.
- Stir in carrots and corn.
- Add meat and cilantro.
- Spoon mixture into small rectangular baking dish.
- Spoon potatoes over meat evenly.
- Bake for 30+ minutes or until potatoes are light golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
I used this recipe as a jumping off point and went in a different direction so no stars, but I wanted to thank you for the inspiration! (I used leftover cooked taco meat, peas, refried beans, and a little wine. It was good!)
This is a really tasty alternative to traditional Shepherd's Pie. Excellent flavor and easy to make. I used a jalapeno pepper, skipped the adobo sauce cause I couldn't find it in the grocery store. Shipped the corn my accident. Also made the mashed potatoes with almond milk as I can't do dairy. Even with all my exceptions it was excellent. I imagine it will be even better next time when I have everything on hand. Made for ZWT5.