Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A Traditional Shepherds Pie recipe with a mexican twist. You can eat it by itself or with veg. Whatever you like!
- Coarsely chop the onion and peppers.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces (about the size of roast potatoes) and put to one side.
- Warm a pan on medium heat, add a little olive oil.
- Cook the onions for 5 minutes.
- Add the peppers and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove the veg from the pan and put to one side.
- In the same pan, turn the heat up high and brown the mince.
- When the mince is browned through, stir in the onion and peppers and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil (boil the kettle to save time!).
- Stir in the fajita spice mix to the mince.
- Add the lamb stock a little at a time until it is completely incorporated.
- Stir in the tomato puree.
- Turn the heat down low, cover with lid and leave for 30 mins stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes to the pan of boiling water for 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Drain the potatoes, return to the pan (off the heat) and cover with a clean teatowel.
- Add the butter to the potatoes and mash.
- Spread the mince evenly into an ovenproof dish, then cover evenly with the mash.
- Grate some cheese and lightly sprinkle on top of the mash.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle tacos, salsa and more grated cheese and return to the oven for 10 minutes.