Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My 6 year old daughter says this is the best thing she's tasted in her whole life ! That's high praise from a normally fussy child, so this recipe is definitely a do-over.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 1⁄4 ounces taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups canned corn niblets
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Brown and drain ground beef.
- Add taco seasoning to taste [we prefer a less spicy mix, so I only use half the envelope].
- Add corn.
- Meanwhile, boil potatoes until tender, then mash.
- If you like, you can add butter and milk.
- Spread about one third of the potatoes in a round 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with the ground beef mixture, then the cheese. Finish with the remaining potatoes.
- To use right away, bake at 350 about 30 minutes.
- To freeze, cover and freeze until solid. Lift out of casserole dish and wrap in foil. Place in zipper bag, label with name and date. Use within 3 months.
- To reheat, unwrap and place in original dish, defrost completely. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.
This was a great base recipe!! I added onions and garlic to the beef when I put in the corn & taco seasoning. I felt the beef was a bit dry for my DH's liking so I added about 1/3 cup beef gravy and some red pepper paste to increase the heat. I already had the pots boiling so I left the beef on low heat while I mashed the potatoes which I did as I normally do - sour cream, butter, roasted garlic, salt, pepper, and left over boiling water to make it the right consistency. After I had it all assembled I spinkled cayenne and garlic salt on top. My husband had two servings and will also enjoy eating the leftovers later this weekend. Thanks for a great dinner!!
Very tasty family meal! I made just a couple of changes: I sauteed a small onion with the beef, then added a drained can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies. The rest was as written, with a sprinkling of saved taco seasoning over top of the mashed potatoes for color. The teenagers loved it and said it was better than Taco Bell.... High praise, indeed! :)
This was a big hit. I used 1/2 lb. ground turkey and added chopped squash and zuchini. We got 6 servings from this. Thanks Terri Newell!