Recipe by VelcrowMistress
Another variation of mexican shepards pie, this one has a sweet cornbread topping. All ingredients are listed as "a can of this... a can of that" but you can substitute fresh ingredients if you like :)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1 (16 ounce) can Mexican style pinto beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can nacho cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Optional filling ingredients
- diced onion (optional)
- chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- diced tomato (optional)
- diced bell peppers (optional) or chili peppers (optional) or pepper, of your choice (optional)
- sliced olive
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk or 1 1⁄2 cups milk, works too
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning according to package directions.
- Drain grease and spread ground beef in a layer across a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add a layer of nacho cheese, and spread 1/2 of the shredded cheese in a layer.
- Mix the corn and the beans together and add them in as a layer.
- If you are using any of the optional filling ingredients, mix them together and add them as a layer now.
- Add the remaining cheese in a layer. Set this dish aside while you mix the cornbread using the directions below in Step 12.
- Once your cornbread batter is prepared, carefully spread the batter in an even layer across the top of your dish. If you want to get extra fancy, you can pipe the batter layer and create pretty designs for your crust.
- Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes, or until a golden brown crust forms and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Optional: Melt 2 tbsp butter with 1 clove of peeled, crushed garlic and 1 tsp sugar to make a sweet and flavorful garlic butter to brush on the cornbread as it comes out of the oven.
- Allow to cool 5-10 minutes, then chow down.
- Cornbread Instructions:.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl, then add the egg and buttermilk, one at a time, forming a medium-thick batter.