Recipe by Mimi in Maine
A new twist to Italian Shells. I got this from a friend who promised it would be good. It was very, very good.
- 12 large pasta shells
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (divided)
- 1 cup salsa, sauce (divided)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 cups durkee's French fried onion rings
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the pasta shells in water till done.
- Saute the onion in small amount of oil; add the hamburg and cook till done, and drain off the fat.
- Add 1/2 can of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of salsa sauce.
- Add the 1 cup of the cheese to the pan and mix well.
- Stuff the cooked shells.
- In the bottom of a baking dish put the other half of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of salsa sauce.
- Put the shells in on top of this.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and top with 1 cup more of Monterey Jack cheese and the onion rings.
- Bake a few more minutes to melt the cheese and toast the onion rings.