Vicki in CT's Note:
Similar to a the Spanish Dish. Use large dried chiles, such as chiles quajillos or New Mexico chiles, to spark this stew's broth base. You can substitute one pound of any firm-fleshed fish, such as swordfish, tuna, or mahi mahi, for the shellfish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 quart chicken stock (can sub canned chicken broth)
- 2 cups canned clam broth (can sub fresh fish stock)
- 2 large dried guajillo chilies or 2 large any chilies, seeded
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomatoes, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 20 small clams, scrubbed
- 3/4 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1Bring the chicken stock and the clam broth to boil in a soup kettle. Add the chiles; simmer until softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2Drain the chiles, reserving the cooking liquid. Transfer the chiles and 1/3 cup cooking liquid to a food processor. Add garlic and tomatoes; process until smooth. Strain puréed chile mixture through a fine sieve, pressing on this purée to release its juice and pulp; discard the solids.
- 3Heat olive oil in the soup kettle. Add the pureed juice; cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until this mixture is amber colored and slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the reserved chile cooking liquid; bring to boil. Add the clams and shrimp; simmer until the clams open and the shrimp are opaque throughout, about 3 minutes. (Discard any clams that do not open.).
- 4TO SERVE: Ladle soup and a portion of the clams and the shrimp into each warm soup bowl. Sprinkle each bowl of stew with a portion of minced onions and cilantro; serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Shellfish Stew
Serving Size: 1 (574 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.2
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 155.7 mg
- Sodium 756.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 6.0 g
- Protein 30.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried guajillo chilies