Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
We use to have breakfast at church two days a week and took turns cooking, this was a regular of mine. Serve with refried beans and garlic toast.
- 88.74 ml salad oil
- 4 corn tortillas, cut in thin strips
- 118.29 ml chopped tomato
- 59.14 ml onion, chopped
- 1 small green chili pepper, seeded & chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten with salt until frothy
- Heat half the oil and saute the tortilla strips.
- Heat remaining oil in skillet and stir-fry the chopped tomato, onion and green chile 30 seconds.
- Put tortilla strips back into the skillet.
- Pour beaten eggs into the skillet over other ingredients and cook, stirring often, until mixture sets.
I cut the recipe back to 2 eggs - no problem. Deluxe version of this recipe would be to serve it with some sour cream, avocado, cheese & Salsa - I controlled myself and just added some salsa. It would be delicious with refired beans Mmm Lovely Sunday brunch dish
These eggs are great! I first heard about them some years ago, on a PBS show where this ancient woman was talking about her 'favorite Mexican breakfast', which was *this*. Like another reviewer, I also fried the tortillas crisp - that's how the ancient woman did it also. Served with sour cream and hot sauce.. Delicious!
We had this as a quick and easy dinner. VERY YUMMY! I didn't have a green chili pepper so I used a red bell pepper instead. I also cooked the tortilla until some of it was golden brown and crunchy. Other than that I made it just as stated. We only had three servings, if we had done four they would have been too small. I will be making this recipe again and again. Thanks for sharing.