Prep 18 mins
Cook 35 mins
Good for breakfast or supper. From BHG with changes. (Time to prepare doesn't include refrigeration).
- 5 slices bread (white or whole wheat,cubed)
- 6 ounces ground sausage, country blend
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Coat a 9-inch quiche dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread bread cubes evenly in quiche dish. Set aside.
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet; cook until brown.
- Drain off fat.
- Pat with paper toweling to remove excess fat.
- Sprinkle cooked sausage over bread cubes in quiche dish.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, and sour cream.
- Stir in cheeses.
- Pour egg mixture over sausage in quiche dish.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Uncover and bake for 35-40 minutes or until center is set and top is golden brown. Remove from oven.
- Let stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting. To serve, cut strata into wedges. Spoon some salsa on top of each serving.
This was the first proper meal I made for DH when he came out of hosptial.....he asked for light comfort food, and this was just the thing! I made a few subs - I cut back on the cheese, as he is not allowed too much fat, and I also used low fat creme fraiche instead of light sour cream. The results were a delicious souffle type of pastry-less quiche - DH wolfed it down and had seconds! A wonderful, but LIGHT Strata recipe - I also used very low fat (my own home-made) sausages with a 94% meat content. As you can see by the photos, it looked pretty and I can assure you, it tasted divine - like an all day breakfast, but without all the hassle and the fat! Recommended and saved in my cookbook! Thanks Caro - a wonderful recipe. FT:-)