Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Great breakfast, lunch, dinner or snack. I foil wrap them and leave them in the fridge for a quick grab ( remove foil or they will steam ) and heat in microwave till warm. Cook time includes scrambling the eggs and grilling the Wiches. Add 10 minutes more to cook time if baking too.
- olive oil, for pan
- 1 cup mushroom, coarsley chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, coarsley chopped (red, yellow or white)
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, coarsley chopped (red, green or yellow)
- kosher salt
- cayenne pepper or bottled hot sauce, to taste
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup cooked leftover meat, shredded (steak, pork, roast beef or ground hamburger)
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 large eggs, scrambled
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup salsa verde, if baking
Dips for fried
- sour cream, with chopped green onions
Topping for baked
- sour cream
- In a skillet over medium heat saute the mushrooms, onion and peppers.
- About 3 minutes- still somewhat firm.
- Add the seasonings to your taste.
- Stir in the leftover meat to mixture to warm through, cover and set aside.
- Lay each tortilla out and sprinkle the cheeses in the center, sprinkle the warmed meat mixture evenly over the cheeses, evenly adding the tomato, cilantro and scrambled eggs to the top Fold in half, then the ends and roll up like a burrito.
- Lightly paint (I use a sandwich baggie on my hand) the melted butter on all sides Grill all sides in a medium hot pan for 1- 2 minutes till crispy and golden Cut in half, spoon favourite dips into wiche's as you eat.
- If baking add filled and fried wiches to a buttered baking dish, pour salsa verde on top Bake in a 350 degree oven about 10 minutes to heat through.
- Top with dollops of sour cream.