Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a version of Spanish rice that I got from a lady at my weight loss meetings.
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
- 5 1⁄2 ounces uncooked long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- chili powder
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 2⁄3 cup frozen peas
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with cooking spray, heat and then brown the garlic, onions and chicken.
- Add the water, tomatoes, rice, turmeric and chili powder.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers and celery and simmer 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Add the peas and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes or until the rice and peas are tender.
I tried this following the recipe completely except I added more spices (chili powder, cayenne pepper) but found the dish extremely bland. I would not waste my money trying this again, even with the suggestions above.
Great recipe although I'm not one to stick strictly to recipes; I am on a low fat/low salt diet so I added a low salt veg stock cube and substituted cayenne pepper for chilli powder which can be very salty. Filling, tasty & easy mid-week meal. Thanks!
This is good, simple and no fuss! Just what I need at the moment. I added a chicken stock cube as it needed more flavouring. Thanks!