Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is an easy and tasty one-dish meal. I usually have all the ingredients on hand. You can also play around with the ingredients you have. Enjoy!
- 340.19 g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 22.18 ml chili powder
- 9.85 ml cumin
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 709.77 ml cooked rice
- 425.24 g can black beans, drained
- 2 (226.79 g) can diced green chilies
- 425.24 g can diced tomatoes, drained
- Brown beef and onions over medium high heat until meat is cooked through and onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices.
- Stir in rice, beans, chilies and tomato.
- Stir until heated through about 3-5 minutes.
I coated my 14" skillet with Safflower oil, and did not add chilies. I used 16 ounces of pre-cooked black beans (not from can). As the last step, I could only fit half of the rice into the skillet so perhaps the author used a 16" pan. It was ok as it was, but I would double the tomato if I make it again. To my surprise, I added hot sauce to my served portion and that really enhanced the flavor and somehow was not too spicy. It had a bit of a greasy after-taste, but that may have been the Safflower oil. I took photos and have uploaded them.
Wonderful stuff, easy to put together. As you said, this meal contains stuff that I nearly always have on hand. I made it with a bit more meat and added some corn and black olives, so I needed an extra can of tomatoes (with chiles added in). Served with cheddar cheese and sour cream for toppings. Thanks for sharing!