1/1 Photo of Mexican Rice Salad
1 hr 20 mins
Probably one of the best meals you'll ever have. I can't get enough of this! Learned it from a good friend and added my own modifications. You can use the rice for other Mexican dishes too. Don't be scared about cooking time, most of it you can be out of the kitchen for, and trust me, it's completely worth it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves (diced or pressed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 5 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chicken broth, powder
- 4 limes, juiced
- 3 teaspoons chili powder (do it to taste)
- 1Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil until onions become tender. Add rice, sautee until rice becomes opaque but not browned.
- 2Add water, tomato sauce, chicken broth, lime juice, and chili powder. (I like mine with more chili flavor, so I probably get closer to a tbsp, but if you add it and smell the rice mix I think you can tell about where it's at. I also add garlic powder if the garlic isn't strong enough).
- 3Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 50 minutes (my stove is a scale of 1-10 for heat, I do a 3).
- 4Do NOT remove the cover until time is up or you'll ruin the steam build up and it will take LONGER to cook. Depending on weather and altitude sometimes 50 minutes is perfect, sometimes it takes longer. If rice hasn't absorbed liquid, just add 5 minutes and check, repeat until absorbed.
- 5Once the rice is finished, add the rest of the ingredients. This is my preferred order:.
- 6Rice, Black Beans, Salsa, Olives, Avocados, Yogurt, Cheese, Lettuce, Crushed chips.
- 7*NOTES: You can use whatever tortilla chips you want, Hint of Lime gives it an extra kick. Also, if you use white rice instead, amount of water is 3 cups and cooking time is about 20 min--it's just that brown rice tastes better and is healthier. I'd do the other prep work (cutting avocados, preparing lettuce) while the rice is cooking. Toppings are to taste, but for me they add an additional 450 calories/serving, so probably about 700-800 calories/serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Rice Salad
Serving Size: 1 (277 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.5
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 232.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 6.1 g