Recipe by Wheres_the_Beef?
This recipe makes a dry, fluffy, orange/yellow, restaurant style, Mexican rice. It's important to rinse the rice prior to cooking in order to achieve the dry, fluffy, restaurant style Mexican Rice.
- 2 cups long grain white rice, rinsed
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons mild green chilies, canned
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-F. - Bake 30 minutes total, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Place rice in strainer and rinse under running water until it runs clear. About 2-minutes. This is important to create a dry, non-sticky restaurant style rice.
- Drain rice, making sure to shake out as much water as possible.
- Heat canola oil to medium high in a dutch oven (3qt to 6qt) on the stove top. Drop a few rice grains in the oil. When they sizzle, add all remaining rice. Stir constantly and fry rice until it is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add onions and stir into rice. Cook while stirring about 2 more minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato paste, green chilies and diced tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- When rice reaches a boil, place lid on dutch oven and place in 350-F preheated oven. Bake 15-minutes then open oven and stir well. Replace dutch oven lid and bake another 15 to 20-minutes until done.
- Remove from oven and stir in chopped cilantro. Cover and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving to allow cilantro flavor to be absorbed by the rice.