1/1 Photo of Mexican Rice Restaurant Style
This recipe makes a dry, fluffy, orange/yellow, restaurant style, Mexican rice. It's important to rinse the rice prior to cooking in order to achieve the dry, fluffy, restaurant style Mexican Rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350-F. - Bake 30 minutes total, stirring after 15 minutes.
- 2Place rice in strainer and rinse under running water until it runs clear. About 2-minutes. This is important to create a dry, non-sticky restaurant style rice.
- 3Drain rice, making sure to shake out as much water as possible.
- 4Heat canola oil to medium high in a dutch oven (3qt to 6qt) on the stove top. Drop a few rice grains in the oil. When they sizzle, add all remaining rice. Stir constantly and fry rice until it is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- 5Add onions and stir into rice. Cook while stirring about 2 more minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- 6Stir in chicken broth, tomato paste, green chilies and diced tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- 7When rice reaches a boil, place lid on dutch oven and place in 350-F preheated oven. Bake 15-minutes then open oven and stir well. Replace dutch oven lid and bake another 15 to 20-minutes until done.
- 8Remove from oven and stir in chopped cilantro. Cover and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving to allow cilantro flavor to be absorbed by the rice.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Rice Restaurant Style
Serving Size: 1 (248 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 553.7
- Calories from Fat 177
- Total Fat 19.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 732.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 10.5 g