This recipe makes a dry, fluffy, orange/yellow, restaurant style, Mexican rice. It's important to rinse the rice prior to cooking in order to achieve the dry, fluffy, restaurant style Mexican Rice.
- Preheat oven to 350-F. - Bake 30 minutes total, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Place rice in strainer and rinse under running water until it runs clear. About 2-minutes. This is important to create a dry, non-sticky restaurant style rice.
- Drain rice, making sure to shake out as much water as possible.
- Heat canola oil to medium high in a dutch oven (3qt to 6qt) on the stove top. Drop a few rice grains in the oil. When they sizzle, add all remaining rice. Stir constantly and fry rice until it is light golden and translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add onions and stir into rice. Cook while stirring about 2 more minutes. Add garlic and stir for another minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, tomato paste, green chilies and diced tomatoes. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- When rice reaches a boil, place lid on dutch oven and place in 350-F preheated oven. Bake 15-minutes then open oven and stir well. Replace dutch oven lid and bake another 15 to 20-minutes until done.
- Remove from oven and stir in chopped cilantro. Cover and allow to rest about 5 minutes before serving to allow cilantro flavor to be absorbed by the rice.
This is the closest restaurant style rice I have found! My favorite so far!
WOW!! This has the same consistency and taste as the restaurants do. I've been looking for it for years. It's wonderful, but I added an extra teaspoon of salt to help bring out the flavor. Thank you!
Good flavor but did not turn out dry and fluffy like the restaurant.