Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
My grandmother use to make this for us when we were little. It was so sweet and so good. Comfort food, especially on a cold winter morning....
- 2 cups rice, uncooked, not instant
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 quarts whole milk
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- In a medium saucepan, place cinnamon sticks, add the whole milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, lower the flame and simmer covered for 15 minutes.
- Add sugar and condensed milk and simmer for about 3 to 5 more minutes.
- Add vanilla and remove from heat.
- Serve warm in custard dishes, you can add raisins if you like.
Definitely cook the rice with the milk and cinnamon sticks...also use pearl rice instead of long-grain. I added a 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon with the vanilla at the end...yummy! Enjoy!
This is the one!! I only changed the fact that I cooked the rice first in the milk then added the rest of the ingredients. Came out wonderful!
The rice never cooked correctley and it came out rather gummy. It seems there was something missing in the recipe directions.