Recipe by AmyZoe
Why haven't I ever tried to make rice this way? I absolutely loved this. I made it with Beef and Bean Burritos (also Pioneer Woman). Recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks. Food From My Frontier.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 14 1⁄2 ounces whole tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin (or more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 -3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low for 3 minutes, stirring constantly to make sure the rice doesn't burn.
- Add the Rotel, the whole tomatoes, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
- Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the rice is done.
- Add more liquid as needed. The rice shouldn't be sticky.
- Just before serving, sprinkle lots of freshly chopped cilantro over the top.