Recipe by Tom J. Beehler
A recipe I created to jazz up plain brown rice.
Top Review by Brenda.
We really enjoyed this dish with our tacos last night. I had a huge jalapeño pepper and used the seeds and all so it had plenty of zip! I had about 3/4 cup of black bean and corn salsa in the fridge and I mixed that into the rice as well. I served the cheese melted over the rice vs stirred in. Overall very tasty and I would make it again. Thanks for sharing your recipe. Made for PAC Spring 2011.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in broth, rice, chili powder, jalapeno peppers, and cumin.
- Cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir tomato and shredded cheese into hot cooked rice.