Top Review by Sammit
Your rice balls are delicious! You can make them again for me anytime! Unfortunately, when I made them myself, or attempted to--the wild rice I used did not stick together and I could not successfully make the rice balls. = (
- 5 cups cooked rice (Mexican Saffron Rojo Rice)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese, cut into 16 cubes
- oil, for frying
- flour, for coating
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten for dipping
- seasoned breadcrumbs, for coating
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix chilled rice, eggs, and peas together.
- Roll into balls about the size of a tangerine and place one cube of cheese into the rice ball. Reform balls firmly to hold shape.
- Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs into 3 separate bowls.
- Dip each ball in flour, shaking off excess and reform if needed. Dip in egg, letting excess drip off, then dredge in bread crumbs, reforming and transfer to a sheet of wax paper. Repeat with remaining balls.
- Meanwhile heat 2 inches of oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot until thermometer registers 350-360 degrees F. Working in batches of 4-6 balls, lower rice balls into oil with a slotted spoon and fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Return oil to 350-360°F between batches.
- Serve with a tomato sauce.