Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It is important to use an oven safe pot about 12 inches in diameter so that the rice cooks evenly and in the time indicated. The pot's depth is less important than its diameter; we've successfully used both a straight-sided saute pan and a Dutch oven. Whichever type of pot you use, it should have a tight-fitting, oven safe lid. Vegetable broth can be substituted for the chicken broth.
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered (about 12 ounces)
- 1 medium onion, preferably white, peeled, trimmed of root end, and quartered
- 3 medium jalapeno chiles, removing the ribs and seeds from 2
- 473.18 ml long-grain white rice
- 78.07 ml canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves (med. minced or pressed through a garlic press about 4 teaspoons)
- 473.18 ml low sodium chicken broth
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 7.39 ml salt
- 118.29 ml fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350 degrees. Process the tomatoes and onion in a food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl if necessary. Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring cup; you should have 2 cups (if necessary, spoon off excess so that the volume equals 2 cups). Remove the ribs and seeds from 2 jalapenos and discard; mince the flesh and set aside. Mince the remaining jalapeno, including the ribs and seeds; set aside.
- Place the rice in a large fine-mesh strainer and rinse rice under cold running water until the water runs clear, about l 1/2 minutes. Shake the rice vigorously in the strainer to remove all excess water.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-bottomed straight-sided 12-inch ovenproof saute pan or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Drop 3 or 4 grains of rice into the oil; if the grains sizzle, the oil is ready. Add the rice and fry, stirring frequently, until the rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add the garlic and seeded minced jalapenos, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in the pureed tomato mixture, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Cover the pan and transfer to the oven. Bake until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 35 minutes, stirring well after 15 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and reserved minced jalapeiio with seeds to taste. Serve immediately, passing the lime wedges separately.