Taken from The Best International Recipe; posted for safekeeping.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes, cored and quartered (about 12 oz.)
- 1 medium white onion, peeled, trimmed, and quartered
- 3 medium jalapeno chiles, 2 halved with ribs and seeds removed, 1 minced with ribs and seeds
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced (about 4 tsp.)
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
- 1Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350°F.
- 2Process the tomatoes and onion in a food processor until smooth and thoroughly pureed, about 15 seconds, scraping down the bowl if necessary.
- 3Transfer the mixture to a liquid measuring cup; you should have 2 cups. If necessary, spoon off and discard any excess.
- 4Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed, oven-safe straight-sided saute pan or Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes.
- 5Drop 3 or 4 grains of rinsed rice in the oil; if they sizzle, the oil is ready.
- 6Add rice and cook, stirring frequently, until the rice is light golden and translucent, 6 to 8 minutes.
- 7Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the garlic and seeded minced jalapenos, and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 1/2 minutes.
- 8Stir in the pureed tomatoes and onion, chicken broth, tomato paste, and salt.
- 9Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- 10Cover, transfer to oven, and bake until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 30-35 minutes. Stir well halfway through cooking time.
- 11Stir in cilantro and reserved minced jalapeno with ribs and seeds to taste.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Rice (Arroz a La Mexicana)
Serving Size: 1 (178 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.1
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 633.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 6.9 g