Recipe by riflchik
My husband and I sort of made this up tonight for dinner. We were planning on having enchiladas, but had no enchilada sauce. Then we decided a casserole was in order! This casserole is fluffy and flavorful... Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
- 1⁄3 cup hot sauce or 1⁄3 cup salsa
- shredded cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse rice in a mesh strainer for a minute or so to remove excess starch. Drain well.
- In an oven safe dutch oven, heat oil on the stove-top until a few grains of rice thrown in sizzle. Add rice and saute for 4-5 minutes until rice begins to toast and turn translucent.
- While rice sautes, brown ground beef and drain excess fat.
- Add tomato sauce, broth, chile powder, onion powder, salt and pepper, beef, corn and salsa. (note:if you want to use fresh onion or garlic, saute with ground beef before adding all to the rice.).
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and move into pre-heated oven.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on your oven) stirring about 20 minutes in to ensure even cooking of the rice.
- Remove from oven, remove lid and sprinkle with shredded cheese, if desired.