Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is tasty rice dish with a kick to it. Of coarse all the spices may be adjusted to suit taste. I have even added cooked ground beef to this to make it into a main dish.
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use canned also)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (or more if desired, I use 1 Tbsp)
- 1 (28 ounce) canundrained canned tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 3⁄4 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use 1/8 tsp for less spicy taste)
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil with water over medium heat.
- Add in the sliced mushrooms, green bell peppers, onion and garlic; simmer stirring often until onion is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Add in the tomatoes (with juice, and break up slightly with a fork), beans, rice, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; mix to combine.
- Simmer covered for about 25 minutes, or until rice is tender, and the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer to a large greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle with mozza cheese over top.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted (also, can microwave at HIGH power for 2 minutes).
Hi Kittencal, We all enjoyed this dish, especially, because its vegetarian - I try to reduce our meat-intake. I added some black olives and used fresh mushrooms (personal preference). Because of time I omitted the oven and served it from the stove - We served it with Sour Cream, Salsa, Cheese on the side and Wraps (Kids loved it). Thanks for a wonderful dish. Claudia
Since I was cleaning out the refrigeratior and pantry, I made some changes based on what I needed to use up: I used fresh roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped (1.5C), about 1 C sliced fresh mushrooms, 1 small red pepper, 8 oz. tomato sauce, one 8 oz. can of corn, undrained, 4 oz diced green chilies, and about 10 black olives, halved. The rice, water, beans and seasonings were per recipe, and were perfect. Since this was serving only 2, I portioned out what we needed for the meal, and I topped that portion with a mixture of Mexican white cheeses and some Mexican 4-Cheese to bake. The remainder of the recipe I will refrigerate and freeze for later use, topping those portions with the cheese when I reheat them. Yummy!
I really enjoyed this Mexican rice, but hubby did not care for it at all, he is damm to picky! What I really enjoyed about it was the mushrooms, they gave it a wonderful flavor! Thanks KITTENCAL for a great recipe!