This is tasty rice dish with a kick to it. Of coarse all the spices may be adjusted to suit taste. I have even added cooked ground beef to this to make it into a main dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons oil
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2-2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (can use canned also)
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 fresh minced garlic cloves (or more if desired, I use 1 Tbsp)
- 1 (28 ounce) can undrained canned tomatoes
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 3/4 cup long grain rice (uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons cumin (or to taste)
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (use 1/8 tsp for less spicy taste)
- 1 -2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the oil with water over medium heat.
- 3Add in the sliced mushrooms, green bell peppers, onion and garlic; simmer stirring often until onion is tender (about 10 minutes).
- 4Add in the tomatoes (with juice, and break up slightly with a fork), beans, rice, chili powder, cumin and cayenne; mix to combine.
- 5Simmer covered for about 25 minutes, or until rice is tender, and the liquid is absorbed.
- 6Transfer to a large greased baking dish.
- 7Sprinkle with mozza cheese over top.
- 8Bake in oven for 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted (also, can microwave at HIGH power for 2 minutes).
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Rice and Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (578 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 550.2
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 22.1 mg
- Sodium 504.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.1 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 24.2 g