This is a recipe from Ree Drummond from Pioneer Woman on the Food Network. I am always looking for a good spanish/mexican style rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1 whole large onion, chopped
- 946.36 ml long grain rice
- 2 (822.13 g) can whole tomatoes
- 283.49 g can diced tomatoes and green chilies, such as Rotel
- 4.92 ml cumin (or more to taste)
- 4.92 ml kosher salt
- 4.92 ml ground black pepper
- 2.46 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 1419.54-1892.72 ml low sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
- 354.88 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Heat the oil in a large dutch oven and add the garlic and onions. Cook, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn't burn. Cook over low heat, about 3 minutes.
- 3Next, add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Stir to combine and let cook, about 2 minutes. Finally, add the chicken broth and stir the mixture together. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the rice is not quite done, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4Top with the cheese, and then bake with the lid off until the cheese is melted and the rice fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Serve with chopped cilantro (if desired).
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Rice
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.1
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.5 g
- Cholesterol 14.8 mg
- Sodium 371.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.2 g