Recipe by MollyLin
This is a recipe from Ree Drummond from Pioneer Woman on the Food Network. I am always looking for a good spanish/mexican style rice.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2-1 whole large onion, chopped
- 4 cups long grain rice
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, such as Rotel
- 1 teaspoon cumin (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 6 -8 cups low sodium chicken broth (more if needed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a large dutch oven and add the garlic and onions. Cook, 3 to 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the rice. Stir constantly, making sure the rice doesn't burn. Cook over low heat, about 3 minutes.
- Next, add the whole tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne and turmeric. Stir to combine and let cook, about 2 minutes. Finally, add the chicken broth and stir the mixture together. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer until the rice is not quite done, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Top with the cheese, and then bake with the lid off until the cheese is melted and the rice fully cooked, about 15 minutes. Serve with chopped cilantro (if desired).