Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from my Mexican cook book.
Make and share this Mexican Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 236.59 ml long-grain rice
- 198.44 g tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 29.58 ml vegetable oil
- 473.18 ml chicken stock
- 2.46 ml salt
- 3 chilies, trimmed
- 236.59 ml frozen peas (optional)
- black pepper
- put rice in a large bowl and pour in boiling water to cover,stir once,let stand for 10 min.rinse under cold water and drain,set aside to dry.
- blend the tomatoes and juice together with onion and garlic in a blender until smooth.
- heat oil in a pan,cook the rice over medium heat until golden brown,stir occasionally.
- add tomato mixture and stir until all the liquid is absorbed,stir in the stock,salt,whole chiles and peas.continue to cook the mixture,stir occasionally until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is just tender.
- remove the pan from heat,cover and let stand for 5-10 min.remove the chiles,fluff up the rice and serve,sprinkle with black pepper,the chiles may be used as a garnish.
I made this rice for my dad's birthday party since he always enjoys peas with his rice. It has a nice flavor without being too "tomatoey". I don't usually stir my rice but it worked really well in this recipe. It also held up really well on the stove top with the lid on until the rest of our dinner was finished. Definitely give this recipe a try! Made for PAC 2010.