Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick easy side dish for King Ranch Chicken.
Make and share this Mexican Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 2⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup raw converted white rice (not instant)
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 cup Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 medium tomatoes, chopped
- In medium heavy skillet with tight cover, saute onion in bacon fat.
- Stir in rice, pepper, chili powder, Ro-Tel tomatoes and salt.
- Add 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered for 20 minutes all liquid must be absorbed and rice should be tender if needed cook rice longer.
- If desired Garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese while rice is hot.
Excellent. My husband loved this rice!!!! Thanks, it's a keeper.
Great, Great Great..... didnt have pepper, so added 1C corn and it was a great side to my spanish chicken skillet! Thnx for posting
Fabulous recipe! I used EVOO instead of bacon grease and didn't have rotel, so I used a can of diced tomatoes (drained) and a can of diced green chilis. I also added 1/2 tsp of cumin as another reviewer suggested and it added a great flavor. I only put in 1/2 tsp of salt to start, but it needed the full tsp as suggested in the recipe. I used 1 1/2 cups of rice because the ratio on my rice is 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water, but then I needed an extra half cup of water. I also didn't add the extra tomato. This was SO good! Better than the boxed stuff and much healthier. Thanks so much for a keeper!