Recipe by CASpicyChef
This is my own recipe for mexican rice. My family enjoys it with homemade enchiladas or in burritos. You can go crazy and add corn, diced mushrooms, green onion, anything you want...if you add corn or green onions I would add them with the water in the final step. I hope you enjoy it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup basmati rice, washed and rinsed
- 2 cups vegetable stock, I use 2 packets of Trader Joe's Vegetable liquid concentrate mixed with 2 cups of water
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add veggies and garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chilli powder, dried oregano and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add washed rice to mixture and cook together for 3-5 mins on medium heat. This step roasts the rice before adding the liquid.
- Add water or stock and boil.
- When the water has almost completely evaporated, put the lid on the pot and turn the heat to low if you have a gas stove - or - turn the heat off on an electric stove. Rice should be ready in about 20 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and enjoy!