Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I adapted this dish from an online community to please my tastes. You can also use sour cream if you don't have cream cheese on hand. For quickness I also use minced garlic from a jar. I love garlic pepper salt, you should be able to find this but if not you can add them individually.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked rice (NOT instant)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup peas
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 potato, peeled & chopped
- 2 -3 ounces cream cheese (to taste)
- garlic-pepper-salt seasoning (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in buttered baking pan.
- Sprinkle with garlic pepper salt and roast for 15-20 minutes.(I like to add the peas, carrots and potato to this mix as well and up the time anywhere from 30-60 minutes total.) Stir a couple of times while cooking.
- Boil water in saucepan and add rice.
- Reduce heat, cover and let simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Put rice, veggies and cream cheese in skillet and season. (You may wish to add cayenne pepper to spice it up.)
- Done when veggies are tender.
I really liked the addition of the cream cheese in this dish, but the potato and peas made it mushy (the potatoes get mashed with the extended cooking time to make this and gave it a gooey texture that wasn't appealing to us). If I made it again, I would remove the peas and potato, and I'd increase the cream cheese because it added a wonderful flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe, MissJennifer. Made for the Spring 2014 Pick-A-Chef event.