Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great, spicy rice. The tomato boullion and cumin are the keys. If you leave them out you'll have tomatoes added to rice. Blech! When I'm not in a spicy mood I exchange the Rotel for regular canned tomatoes and use only half of a 14.5 oz. can with juice.
- 1 cup rice
- 0.5 (14 1/2 ounce) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato bouillon
- 1 2⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- Combine all ingredients together, cover and bring to boil over medium-high.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and simmer until water is soaked up and rice is.
- tender, approximately 20 minutes.
This was pretty good. I didn't have any tomato bullion, so I put some tomato paste in the water, brought it to a boil, and once it was mixed well, I poured in the rest of the ingredients. I also used the whole can of Rotel.
I couldn't believe that is how to make this. So simple and so good! No more rice mixes in boxes for us! Too much salt in the boxes, but this was just right with a light sprinkle. I also added one large scallion for extra color and flavor. I served this with bean tacos for a great vegetarian meal.
This resulted in a mild rice, a perfect accompaniment to the spicier re fried beans, and garlic beef enchiladas I served and it was easy to prepare. I did use the whole can (mild) of rotel. Thank you for sharing your recipe!