This is inspired by a salad from a popular Mexican restaurant chain. If you can't find Queso Fresco, you can substitute with a mild feta. Recipe is from San Francisco Firehouse Food: Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters.
CILANTRO-SOUR CREAM DRESSING
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup stemmed coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1 green jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and deribbed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup pumpkin seeds, shelled
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and cubed
- 1 1⁄2 cups lightly crushed yellow corn tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- To Make the Dressing: Put the lime juice, olive oil, mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and Parmesan in the container of a blender or food processor; process until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- To toast the pumpkin seeds: heat the olive oil in a small skillet and add the pumpkin seeds.
- Toss continuously until the seeds are lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and let cool.
- To Assemble the Salad: Combine the lettuce, onion, avocado, tortilla chips, and dressing in a large salad bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle the queso fresco and toasted pumpkin seeds over the salad.
I'm not a big fan of salads, but this was pretty good and very much enjoyed by everyone this Thanksgiving. I tweaked the dressing a bit because it tasted strangely bitter, but otherwise it had good flavor. The queso fresco and pepitas were perfect in this.
Absolutely awesome! Love the creamy cilantro dressing.
This salad is great exactly as written. Spectacular flavour - we loved this. I've also made this substituting sunflower seeds for the pumpkin seeds and that was delicious as well. Thanks for posting!