1/1 Photo of Mexican Red Snapper With Chili and Corn
Chef Larry Edwards's Note:
Recipe available at www.examiner.com/food-and-drink-in-reno
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 red snapper fillets
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (whipping cream unwhipped)
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 white onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 red jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and julienned (cut into thin strips)
- 2 serrano chilies, stemmed, seeded and juienned (cut into thin strips)
- 1/2 cup sherry wine
- 1Run your fingers over the middle and upper portions of each red snapper fillet to feel for bones. If you find any, pull them out and discard them.
- 2In a shallow dish whisk the eggs, heavy cream and Tabasco sauce. Set aside.
- 3In a separate shallow dish, combine the flour, salt, black pepper and cumin.
- 4Dip each red snapper fillet into the egg mixture (known as an egg wash) and then coat (dredge) them in the flour mixture. Set the fillets aside 10 minutes.
- 5In a large saute pan or skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the red snapper fillets and saute until golden on each side (about 7 minutes).
- 6Remove the fish to a platter and keep warm.
- 7Into the skillet add the butter. Once the butter has melted, add the corn, onion, tomatoes and both chilis and saute 10 minutes.
- 8Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the sherry (NEVER ADD ANY ALCOHOL TO A PAN OVER THE HEAT).
- 9Place the pan back onto the heat. Add the fish, cover the pan and cook 5 minutes.
- 10Remove the red snapper fillets and place on serving plates. Spoon the sauce and vegetable around the fillets and serve.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Red Snapper With Chili and Corn
Serving Size: 1 (579 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 892.7
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 208.5 mg
- Sodium 805.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 58.0 g