Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a red sauce that I found on some website and slightly made adjustments. It's an excellent sauce for tamales, enchiladas and Mexican chicken casseroles.
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans tomatoes (diced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup water (set aside 1/2 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (leaves only, chopped fine)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (diced)
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients, except for the 1/2 cup of water in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a medium sauce pan and add remaining 1/2 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook through for about 20 minutes.
- Note: Makes Aprox 2 quarts.