This is one of Jeanne Lemlin's recipes (from her wonderful cookbook "Quick Vegetarian Pleasures") that I have adapted a little to my taste. It is one of my favorite quick and healthy weeknight meals. It tastes good with or without the sour cream, and also is good with a sprinkling of cheddar cheese on top. It makes great leftovers and is good for work lunches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice or 1 1/2 cups converted white rice (I prefer brown rice with this dish)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot according to taste--I like Newman's Own medium salsa)
- 1/8 cup water
- light sour cream, for topping (optional)
- minced fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1In medium saucepan, combine rice, water, vegetable oil and salt; cover and bring to boil.
- 2Reduce to simmer and cook rice (without lifting lid) for 45 minutes for brown rice or 20 minutes for white rice, or until water is absorbed and rice starts to stick slightly to pot.
- 3During the last 15 minutes that rice cooks, prepare bean mixture.
- 4Heat olive oil in large skillet over med-high heat.
- 5Add onions& saute for approx.
- 610 minutes or until translucent and soft.
- 7Sprinkle the chili powder over onions in pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 8Add beans, salsa and water to pan and cook for approx.
- 95 more minutes, until mixture is hot.
- 10To serve, spread bean mixture on top of mound of rice; top with dollop of sour cream and garnish with parsley, if desired.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Red Beans & Rice
Serving Size: 1 (388 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 625.7
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 712.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 110.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.3 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 25.5 g