Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 hrs
This is a recipe that I adapted. This recipe was printed in the cookbook that came with my crock pot over 25 years ago. The serving size is approximate. The number of servings depends on if you are serving this as a side or a main dish.
- Sort beans and wash under running water.
- Place beans in a large pan and bring to a boil.
- Boil 10 minutes, drain.
- Place the precooked beans in a crock pot adding water and remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on high for 1 to 2 hours, turn down to low and continue to cook for 8 hours.
- During cooking add additional hot water if needed.
This was excellent. I used small red bean and used turkey bacon instead of pork. Also added a little bit of smoked paprika for a little more smoky flavor. I could eat a bowl for breakfast, lunch then dinner. Will definitely be making again.
Instead of adding meat, I just put in a couple tablespoons of bacon grease. I also doubled the water and the salt, and they turned out perfect. Easy, cheap and yummy. Thanks!
This was a very scrumptious recipe. I added a smoked Turkey leg and wing instead of the bacon. Overall I will be adding this recipe to my rotation.