Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from Jeanne Lemlin's book, Quick Vegetarian Pleasures.
Make and share this Mexican Red Beans and Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 (15 ounce) cans red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup salsa
- 1⁄4 cup hot water
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- To prepare the beans, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute until tender (about 10 minutes).
- Sprinkle on chili powder and cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add beans, salsa, and water and cook about 5 minutes.
- Serve beans over rice, with sour cream on top.
This is one of my favorite recipes from the book. It's a fast, easy, delicious and nutritious meal. In addition to sour cream, I serve mine up with slices of avocado, grated cheddar, chopped cilantro and tortilla chips.