1/1 Photo of Mexican Potatoes With Cheese - Papas Con Queso
This is another simple yet delicious authentic dish from Zacatecas Mexico that my mother taught me how to make! It is important to know that this recipe won’t work well if you don’t use queso fresco. You must use this type of cheese specifically for the recipe to incorporate well, other wise it wont come out. Makes a great side dish.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 potatoes, peeled and chopped into squares
- 6 -8 fresh jalapenos
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons of knoor chicken bouillon powder (consome)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 12 ounces mexican queso fresco, chopped into cubes
- 2 -3 cups water
- oil (for frying)
- 1Bring jalapenos and tomatoes to a boil.
- 2In blender add water, onion, garlic, cumin, chicken bouillon powder, can of tomato sauce and blend well.
- 3Add boiled jalapenos and tomatoes and pulsate the blender 2 or 3 times just so that the tomatoes and the peppers are still chunky in the sauce. Set aside.
- 4In skillet fry the potatoes until they start to look translucent and remove from fire. It is very important you do this. Don’t fully cook them or else they will end up like mulch latter.
- 5Transfer the semi cooked potatoes to a bigger sauce pot and pour the sauce.
- 6Add cheese and stir well. If needed at salt to taste and bring to a boil.
- 7Serve hot and enjoy with warm tortillas!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Potatoes With Cheese - Papas Con Queso
Serving Size: 1 (497 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 258.2
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.2 mg
- Sodium 701.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 7.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: