Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was looking for something to make with South of the Border Stuffed Bell Peppers and this is what I came up with.
- 1 head garlic
- 1 -2 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 small chili pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cilantro or 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup milk, warmed
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190C/375°F.
- Cut the top off the garlic bulb and place on an 8" square of tin foil. Drizzle with the olive oil and gather up the foil around the garlic like a parcel. Bake for 45 minutes and remove. Allow to cool. (This step can be done early in the day - just let garlic sit in foil until ready to use).
- Place potatoes into a large saucepan with cold water and salt. Bring to a boil and let cook for 15-20 minutes until tender.
- In the meantime, mix together the butter, chili pepper, tomato puree, oregano, cilantro, chili powder, paprika and cayenne.
- When potatoes are cooked, drain the water. Mash the potatoes a bit.
- Remove the garlic from the foil and squeeze out all the garlic pulp into the potatoes then add the butter and spice mixture. Mash to combine.
- Add milk and cheese and mash together so that the cheese melts. Season as needed.
- Serve immediately.