Recipe by Kumquat the Cat's friend
Based on a recipe my BF asked me to make, we both liked this a lot! Altered to use real mashed potatoes. You can either use leftover mashed potatoes (2 cups), or replace the milk and potatoes with 2 cups milk and 2 cups dried potato flakes to save time. Has a mild but pleasing Mexican flavor that I think kids should like. I served this as a vegetarian main dish with a vegetable medley side of carrots, broccoli and red peppers.
Top Review by Thea
Loved, loved, loved this recipe! Made it as part of DD Prom night after the March...We had Mexican night! Added some green onions chopped...tripled the recipe with no problems. I will make this again for sure! Rave reviews from all my guests! Thanks for posting! Made and reviewed for Zaar Chow Hounds ZWT 5.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2 to 3/4 inches thick (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄2 cup 1% low-fat milk, separated
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn (mexican mix with peppers, if desired)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (or low-fat mexican cheddar and monterey jack blend)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter, separated
- 2 teaspoons butter, separated
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 2 quarts water and add sliced potatoes. Boil 15 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and put potatoes through ricer. Add 1/4 cup milk to potatoes and mix well. Should make about 2 cups mashed potatoes.
- In large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, corn, chiles, cheese, flour, corn meal, seasoned salt, oregano, garlic powder and pepper. Mix well. Beat egg with 1/4 cup milk, add and mix well.
- Heat non-stick skillet over medium low heat. Drop in 2 teaspoons butter. In batches, drop potato mixture onto skillet, 1/4 cup at a time, four times per batch. Carefully form into 3-inch rounds. Cook about 7-8 minutes, until golden brown, turning once.
- Repeat 3 times. Place finished cakes onto cookie sheet and keep warm in 225 degree Fahrenheit oven. Serve with hot sauce on the side, if desired.