1/1 Photo of Mexican Polenta Pie
1 hr 20 mins
Barb Gertz's Note:
This is a good casserole for a crowd or a potluck. The recipe was a $200 winner in a casserole contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb uncooked ground turkey
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 2 (16 ounce) packages refrigerated cooked polenta (or cook and mold your own)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2/3 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a skillet cook onion, sweet pepper,and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil until tender.
- 3Add turkey, chili powder, cumin and cayenne.
- 4Cook until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat.
- 5Add beans, undrained tomatoes and salsa.
- 6Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 7Simmer gently 15 minutes.
- 8Meanwhile, grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- 9Cut 1 tube polenta into 1/2-inch cubes; press evenly into prepared baking dish.
- 10Halve remaining polenta lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices; set aside.
- 11Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over polenta in dish.
- 12Top with meat mixture.
- 13Arrange sliced polenta over meat; sprinkle with remaining cheese and fresh tomato.
- 14Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
- 15Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 16Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- 17Makes 12 servings.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Polenta Pie
Serving Size: 1 (246 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.0
- Calories from Fat 127
- Total Fat 14.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 42.8 mg
- Sodium 286.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 69.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 21.6 g