This is a good casserole for a crowd or a potluck. The recipe was a $200 winner in a casserole contest.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb uncooked ground turkey
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup bottled salsa
- 2 (16 ounce) packagesrefrigerated cooked polenta (or cook and mold your own)
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a skillet cook onion, sweet pepper,and garlic in 1 tablespoon hot oil until tender.
- Add turkey, chili powder, cumin and cayenne.
- Cook until turkey is no longer pink, stirring to break up meat.
- Add beans, undrained tomatoes and salsa.
- Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- Simmer gently 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cut 1 tube polenta into 1/2-inch cubes; press evenly into prepared baking dish.
- Halve remaining polenta lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices; set aside.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese over polenta in dish.
- Top with meat mixture.
- Arrange sliced polenta over meat; sprinkle with remaining cheese and fresh tomato.
- Bake, uncovered, for 35 minutes or until bubbly.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Let stand 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Makes 12 servings.